Full course description
This short, online course was designed for faculty and senior leadership at UBC on search committees. Learners will gain an understanding of how to conduct a fair and thorough search for new faculty members and senior leadership, while minimizing bias and conflict of interest by following a process and using clear search criteria.
This training consists of 4 lessons:
- Why Diversity is Needed and How it Contributes to Excellence
- Unconscious Bias and Conflict of Interest
- Inclusion Skills
- Process of Search and Selection
We estimate that it will take you 30 minutes to complete this course.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Examine the benefits of diversity in the workplace;
- Recognize your unconscious biases and identify steps to reduce their impact;
- Describe how to declare and discuss conflict of interest with the search committee;
- Describe what diversity competencies are and how to identify them in candidates;
- Understand the process a search committee should follow and the reasons.
Note: If you do not have access to a CWL credential, you should proceed to the external version of this course by going to https://courses.cpe.ubc.ca/browse/wpl/courses/wpl-eio-ediss-nubc to complete this course.
Keyword: DYIN, LPMT